Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Thoughts on the book of Job

Well, it's a new year. I am not too big on resolutions, but I like the idea and it always seems like I fail at about week three into a new resolution/goal/promise...whatever you want to call it. I'm going to call it a promise, and I pray with The Lords help I can keep this promise!

I decided after reading this article, that I was going to start a Bible reading plan for the year. The plan jumps all over The Bible and has no particular order, but it is a plan to read the whole Bible in a year. WHOA! that's a big commitment/promise! I was hesitant to mention I wanted to do this,  to my small group last night, because I am already afraid of failing. But, I feel like I NEED to do this, I feel as if God is calling me closer to Him and it would be so sad for me to  ignore Him. I was not reading before. I really am bad in this area. It's sad. But, I want to try and I love how this article talks about fearing to fail and that God gives us His grace to fail. So, here's to a year in the Word!

I wrote this email to some my girlfriends after reading this morning, and decided I needed to share it on my blog:

So, I read my first day of my Bible reading plan. Job. Job 1-3, when I saw that this was today's reading I thought, thanks God...that will be uplifting. And, you know what? It kinda was! In Ch. 2 toward the end I really resonated with verse 10 when Job tells his wife (after all his livestock and such was destroyed and had sores covering his body from head to toe) "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" I also loved verses 11-13 when it talks about his friends who came to visit him because of his pain. They were emotionally so upset because their friend was in such horrible pain, all they could do was just sit with him-not saying a word. They probably provided so much comfort to him in those 7 days and nights they were with him...In all these things Job never cursed our Lord. WOW!

These two things that stood out made me think our our dear friend, Norma, who passed away yesterday afternoon. She was so good. She blessed so many people with her love and generosity, some would say through her they were accepting the good. And, now since she is gone it just reminds me we need accept Gods trouble sometimes. Weird? Make sense? I know Norma is "dancing with Jesus now" as one friend said yesterday, but it's still hard I think for some to accept. I have no idea if this is making sense so I'm sorry if you are like, Jen you have no idea what you are talking about =) The other thing it made me think of is good friends...that would be you girls. I so pray that in moments of your hurt I have been able to be there for you and just be quiet and be a comforting spirit. I will do my best in the future to be that person for you if you need it. Just like Jobs friends were to him. The best I know how to relate to this is, after I had Owen I had mastitis, I was sad because I was all "alone" with this new babe-Joe went back to work, and my family was back to CA. I felt like I was failing 3 weeks into his life as a mom because I was not nursing him. I was falling into a depression. I remember Sherry Scott and Audra coming at different times and helping me when I could not help myself, or Owen. And they would just sit, and I knew they were there. I was so thankful for them.

Anyway, that's what I learned and was reminded today. Hope I didn't ramble and it all made sense.

Have you read yet today???

No comments:

Post a Comment