Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My lil' Rascal

Oh, how Owen has kept me on my toes the past few weeks! Owen has never been a kid that was into everything or mischievous. I never used gates as a safety thing, in one of the houses we lived in I used them to keep him in one spot because the house was huge and I would lose him. I never used safety locks on my cabinets or doors. And, I have always been able to run upstairs and leave him to play for about 5-10 minutes while I needed to get dressed or brush my teeth. I probably have given him too much freedom, but he never proved to be a kid who needed all that.

I'm seeing so many changes in my little man in the last month or so. As we are approaching three years old he is becoming more and more independent and expresses it too! He wants to put his clothes and jackets on. He wants to brush his teeth and hair...things like that. But, we are also seeing a different more mischievous side of him too.

Since moving to a big boy bed his new thing is taking off his jammies at some point in the night. Even when it's below 30 degrees outside! I can't figure out if he's hot or if it's just more comfortable for him to sleep in just his diaper. But, most recently he is not only taking off his jammies (which has led me to check on him every night before I head to be) I'm finding him completely naked! And, more times than often he has peed in the bed already!!! Not fun.  The best thing he's done to date happened just last night. I went upstairs to take a bath before bed, and flipped on my light.  Guess who was in my bed??? Just some cute little almost 3 year old! He was all cozy and passed out in our bed. So, I lifted his beloved monkey blanket off of him to take him to bed and again....NAKED! So, not only was a little escape artist from his room, but a naked one at that! Joe and I could not stop laughing!!!


One of the scariest things he has done is getting into some prescription medicines of my Aunts a few weeks ago. Thank God the medication wasn't anything like pain killers or anything. It was medication for her thyroid. We think he took A LOT of the pills. After calling poison control we found that the symptoms to look for would be some vomiting and diarrhea, fever, and hyperactivity. We were told these symptoms could take up to a week to show up. Well, about a week after the incident Owen was vomiting and had has has diarrhea. FUN!! So, I think it's pretty certain he did get into her meds.


As of late I have found him on top of kitchen and bathroom counters in some other scary situations! But, thankfully he has not been hurt. And, he got into Windex before church this last week. Oh, the joys of a crazy almost three year old curious boy! I'm sure there will be other stories as he grows. I'm sure there will be other times he scares me half to death. I'm sure there will be other times that Joe and I laugh together hysterically because of something so silly that he's done. What I have learned is, he has not gotten seriously injured or sick. He will only be this age once. He will not always be this curious. Most of all to I have learned to laugh about it!

2 comments:

  1. These stories are so fun! Mostly because it makes me feel like my boys are normal. I love the naked bed stuff, Dan climbs into our bed all the time before we get there.

    Most recently Dan decided he wanted to be Jewish because he never gets to light candles! Oh the things they say. . .
    Miss you my friend, love you
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that he was in your bed that is classic! I'm so surprised he hasn't done some of these things before especially getting into the cabinets and eating pills. That picture of him in you bed is so cute. I wonder if any of his new found curiosity is do to watching Curious George??

    ReplyDelete